Friday, September 18, 2009

See you on the flip side

It is official, sweet Branny boy is home to stay with his new family.

DSC_8250

This past weekend, I went to his new home to do the adoption paperwork, and surprised myself by breaking into tears in relaying a simple story to his new Momma about how J noted the light bouncing around our home one day, and no Bran to chase it anymore. ={

It was mostly happy tears, but also those bittersweet tears of having shared our family with this beautiful creature and knowing that it was over for us, yet just beginning for his new family.

Bran makes #9. Pumba, Mischief (LT), Libby, Timon (Hammer), Bailey, LuLu, Olive, and Bowie came--and went--before him. I suppose if I count the pups, Bran actually makes #14, with Fergie (Suvi), Marie (Nya), Charlotte (Penny), and Tre (Millie), and Mugsy (Caliber; don't get me started on his new name) joining their new families before he found his place in this world.

It is yet to be seen if Sula will become #10/#15. She is still very much on trial, though actually the trial is on hold as she is back with us for the week. ;) Seeing as how I love her so, you can imagine this came as a very welcome visit. She goes back to her potential family next week and we will see where it goes. Her first 2 weeks with them weren't the smooth sailing I think most everyone expected, so the trial we thought was just a formality (because of her unaltered state, for the next week anyway) has turned out to be very much a trial after all.

For what it's worth, this is why I love trial visits, or foster-to-adopts. In a way, it takes the pressure off and keeps us (the rescue organization) very much in the loop for support and encouragement. Let's face it, the beginnings of relationships are rarely easy, and the dog-human relationship is no exception. Granted, sometimes a trial is not necessary and not warranted or wanted by the family, but there are times it is immensely helpful and it can frame those sometimes rough early weeks in an entirely different light.

Sorry, today's post turned into a commentary on rescue. Oops! That happens I guess. ;) Just goes to show, I often don't have a plan when I sit down to blog. Successful bloggers probably have a plan. HAHA. At any rate, I'm off the cuff usually, sometimes I have a picture. And the crazy voices in my head of course, if that's any consolation. Which for me, it's not. Oh well.

To atone, I offer this...

DSC_8577

Happy Friday everyone! =)

No comments: